The Student Leadership Team hopes that all our students have had an enjoyable and restful summer holiday and are now looking forward with excitement for the new school year.
Congratulations Year 11
On the 23rd August our 2017/18 Year 11 students collected their external examination results. We would like to congratulate all our students who have achieved some exceptional results and we wish them a successful future. The challenge for our incoming Year 11 students is to surpass these results and we are sure this will be the case.
New Year 7
We would like to give a warm welcome to all our new Year 7 students who will be starting Beckfoot Oakbank on Wednesday 5th September. There will be many excited but also anxious students and our Stepping Stones, Student Support Squad and Student Ambassadors student leaders will be happy to help any student in any way they can. New students just need to look out for students wearing the blue student leadership lanyards.
Student Leadership Structure and Planner Page
Towards the end of the school year we launched our new 3 year strategic vision for student leadership to all students and staff, which we wrote by the Head Boys and Girls in The Pupil Parliament. (The Vison, changes to the student leadership structure and important information can be found in the student leadership section of the Beckfoot Oakbank website). One major change in that all students in Years 7,8,9, 10 and 12 will choose (many have already done so) a student leadership committee to be connected too. Full lists will then be displayed in each tutor base, Progress Team offices and in the Student Leadership displays around school.
During the first week back all students who have not yet nominated their student leadership committee will be do so, after this ALL students will then have to complete the student leadership page in the new school planner, which then MUST be signed by your tutor and a parent/carer.
Throughout last year our Press Pack student leaders worked hard to produce our student led school magazine. Having be renamed the Vibe via a whole school competition the latest edition went live on our school website prior to the summer holidays. The students and staff who produce The Vibe and we would like as many people as possible to read the magazine. This year the Press Pack plan to produce a new edition of The Vibe every term.
Braving the Shave
During the summer holidays one our amazing students Jade Waite showed some real leadership by “Braving the Shave” raising money for Macmillan Cancer.
Jade said, “ I am Braving the Shave for my friends and family that have had or who currently have Cancer, but also to show to the people of Macmillan Cancer Care that they do an amazing job everyday caring for people that have Cancer and supporting their families”.
Jade completed the Brave for Shave on the 2th August and we are delighted to announce that Jade has so far raised a phenomenal £1160.00, smashed her initial target of £500.
Well done Jade, a true leader.
Throughout this year the Student Leadership Team will remind all students of the importance of aiming high and having a growth mindset as they are vital to being successful both in and out of school. We have added our top 10 growth mindset quotes from many famous people who have achieved some great things.
All our successful year 11 students this year aimed high, never gave up even when they found things hard and had a growth mindset
- Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed no hope at all. Dale Carnegie
- Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance. Samuel Johnson
- It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop. Confucius
- You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it. Margaret Thatcher
- Dreams don’t work unless you do. John C. Maxwell
- Would you like me to give you a formula for success? It’s quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. Thomas Watson
- It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed. Theodore Roosevelt
- Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein
- Challenges are what make life interesting. Overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. Joshua J. Marine
- Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. George Bernard Shaw
We look forward to welcoming everyone back to school and wish everyone a very successful year.
Olivia, Megan, Tania, Ellen, Josh and Harry
The Beckfoot Oakbank Student Leadership Team