As you are all aware we had the Ofsted Inspection team in school on Tuesday 21st and Wednesday 22nd May 2019. I am now pleased to say that we have the report back from the team and it is available for you to view on the school website www.oakbank.org.uk.
The team agreed with our own judgements as a school that we ‘Require Improvement’ but that our provision is ‘Good’ in the Sixth Form and green shoots are emerging in other areas of school life. We have come a long way in a short time as a school, not only by moving into a totally new school building, but through the great work that the students and staff have been doing to get even better. I wanted to share with you some of the strengths that the team of Inspectors identified and some of the areas that we need to continue to improve. As families, I will need your help with these.
- Sixth Form, the provision and the outcomes that students get.
- Pastoral support across school – the work of the Heads of Year and their teams and the ‘Hub’ (SEND support).
- Students feel safe and are safe in school.
- Learning in Humanities, PE, Creative Arts, and Technology.
- A behaviour strategy that works and is understood by the whole community.
- Marking, feedback and students work in History and Geography.
- SMSC/PSHCE/Futures programmes/Careers.
- Clarity around where we are at as a school, and what we need to do to improve further.
- Teacher support programmes/CPD leading to improvements in the quality of teaching.
- Recent curriculum and setting changes. The wide range of subjects on offer.
- Subject knowledge of teachers and improvements seen in planning of lessons.
- Students that want to learn (with only a minority spoiling it for others).
- Behaviour at break and lunchtime. Polite students. No litter. Pride in their school.
What we need to do now
- Improve attendance.
- Improve the outcomes at GCSE.
- Reduce the gap between students who are SEND or Pupil Premium, and those who are not.
- Challenge students who don't finish work or catch up/copy up. More home learning!
- Improve provision in Maths, English and Science.
- Ensure that all students behave as well as they can all of the time.
I am finishing school on Friday 14th June 2019 to start my maternity leave. I will be back on 1st January 2020. As such David Horn (CEO Beckfoot Trust) and Liz Hart (Deputy Head but acting Headteacher in my absence), will hold a meeting for parents to discuss anything to do with the recent Ofsted report and to talk about how you can help your child and school with some of the things above. This meeting will take place on Thursday 27th June 2019 from 6-7pm in the Main Hall.
This school is moving forward. I value your help, as families, to ensure that we are the best that we can be.